Cantina del Taburno
Cantina del Taburno, is located at the base of Mount Taburno, an inactive volcano, in the small town of Foglianise in the province of Benevento. The soils types vary across the region but are commonly gravel and stones over limestone and sandstone, though there are volcanic soils dotting the region as well. Cantina del Taburno was established in 1972 as a cooperative of 15-20 growers. In 1983 the winery was acquired by the Agricultural Consortium of Benevento, which was established in 1901. Today, the grapes that are vinified at Cantina del Taburno come from approximately 400-450 hectares of vineyards, belonging to 330 small growers emphasizing the quality of their grapes over their quantity. Cantina del Taburno also has an association with the University of Portici in Naples and has an on-site analysis laboratory and a laboratory for micro-vinification. Many students use the facility to conduct research and write their theses. Cantina del Taburno represents a great example of a large cooperative producer bringing their considerable resources to bear to produce higher quality wines with a true sense of place.